We are all concerned about the quality of our community's environment, from clean air to clean water. MARTA is proud to be more socially and technically competent in raising our community's awareness for sustainable development and a cleaner Atlanta environment. How does MARTA help with our environment? What can I do to help?
- Less Traffic, less carbon - With less traffic clouding our roads and highways, we lower traffic and reduce the resultant emissions. By placing 20 riders (who would normally each drive a car) on one bus for the same total mileage, we have reduced the greenhouse gas emissions by 90%.
- Early adoption and use of Natural Gas Vehicles - A majority of MARTA's fleet is powered by Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), a clear, odorless, and non-corrosive gas. MARTA is committed to reducing emissions and pollutants for an easier breathing Atlanta.
- Commuter Options - MARTA offers several sustainable commuting options: parking and kiss-ride; advanced route planning; bus/HOV lanes commuting; employer incentive programs, etc.
- Regional Partnerships - Driving your vehicle is an expensive alternative to allowing MARTA as your "commute vehicle of choice." You can enjoy your commute time with our regional partners in Cobb, Clayton, DeKalb and Gwinnett counties by saving you time, stress, gas and oil, maintenance, tires (wear of tear on your vehicle) and parking. In essence, MARTA can help improve employee morale and productivity!
- Multi-Modal Connections - Whether you are flying into or out of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, riding Amtrak or Greyhound, MARTA is there with shuttles, buses and on-site station connections, reducing the need for taxis while lowering emissions.
Click here to view the Sustainability Video
Click here to view information about MARTA Environment Management System
Click here to view Sustainability Tips
Click here to view Sustainability FAQs
Learn how MARTA can save you $$$