- Click here for Buckhead Bridge Single-tracking Schedules (Red and Gold) for the week of May 20th.
MARTA, in joint partnership with the Buckhead Community Improvement District, Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT), State Road and Toll Authority (SRTA), Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and the City of Atlanta,will construct a pedestrian bridge to reconnect the east and west sides of the Buckhead community. The bridge will also offer a convenient entrance to the Buckhead MARTA Station. Once completed, pedestrians will be able to cross between Stratford Road to Tower Place Drive over Georgia 400.
This project is the result of an agreement that was reached between the partners, prior to the construction of Georgia 400, to one day restore connectivity between the east and west sides of Buckhead.
The project includes:
- A new entrance on the north end of the existing Buckhead Station
- Pedestrian bridge over north and southbound lanes of GA 400
- An elevator/stair tower, sidewalk, and bridge connection on the east side of GA 400
- Sidewalk access to elevated walkway from Tower Place to connect to the bridge on the west side of GA 400
The photo is taken looking northbound on GA400 near the Lenox Road offramp. The Buckhead MARTA Station is in the center of the picture. The beams across the northbound travel lanes (right side of photo) are supports for the pedestrian bridge that will connect persons to the Stratford Road entrance on the east side of the project. Beams over the southbound travel lanes of GA400 are expected to be set in March 2013. These beams will support the bridge to the commercial developments near Tower Place on the west side of the project. The beam seat for this landing is shown on the far left of the picture (standing concrete abutment).
The existing emergency bridge shown on the left of the photo will be removed this summer.