Bike Protection Tips
MARTA POLICE DEPARTMENT
BE A SMART RIDER
Always secure your bike
- Position your bike frame and wheels so that you take up as much of the open space within the U-portion of the lock as possible. Tighten the lock. This will make it harder for a thief to insert a pry bar to pry open your lock.
- Try not to let your lock rest against the ground where a thief can use a hammer or rock to smash it.
- Buy high quality locks (for example Kryptonite brand). Cheap locks will only waste your money and give you a false sense of security.
- Always keep your bike’s serial number in a place you can remember. Bikes are recovered every day but cannot be returned because the owner cannot be notified.
- When securing your bike at the station please use the designated bike racks. If you have any question on bike protection please do not hesitate to call Sergeant Bruce at 404-848-3938 or call the precinct nearest your station.
- Register your bike with the National Bike Registry (NBR). The NBR is the only bike registration system that works across state lines. For more information call 1-800-848-bike or www.bicyclelink.com
MARTA Police (Emergency): 404-848-4911
AT&T(formerly Cingular), Verizon or Nextel Sprint customers: Dial #MPD Blackberry customers: Dial# 673