MARTA has continued to
make significant contributions to improving the environment and the quality of
life in this region. In keeping with
MARTA’S environmental accomplishments under ISO 14001:2004 Environmental
Management System certification at Armour Yard, we are implementing the new ISO
14001:2015 standard, released in September 2015, throughout the MARTA
organization to include all Rail and Bus Maintenance facilities as well as
administrative buildings over the next few years.
EMS POLICY STATEMENT
“To establish an
Authority-Wide policy and program that ensures MARTA’s commitment to compliance
with environmental statutes, regulations, & other MARTA requirements. To
provide safe and cost-effective pollution prevention, measures by
controlling and minimizing the disposal of waste or emissions
generated/released from MARTA operations and construction.”
Definition of EMS
- A set of processes and practices used to manage environmental
activities, products, or services that interact with the environment
assist in fulfilling compliance obligations, address risks and
opportunities, and increase operating efficiency.
Goals of EMS
- Improve the use of resources and management of
environmental impacts with life-cycle considerations.
- Reduce the risk of non-compliance and unwanted escapes
with performance monitoring.
- Improve public perception and relations through greater
commitment and involvement of top management in MARTA’s EMS program.
- Heighten awareness of MARTA’s environmental impact
- Manage MARTA’s environmental risks and opportunities.
- EMS is currently being implemented under ISO 14001:2015
at Armour Yard, the Laredo Facility, and our Headquarters building.
- EMS Awareness Training is ongoing throughout MARTA
- Internal Audits under the new ISO Standard will begin
in November of 2015 with External certification audits conducted in early
For Additional Information