MARTA Accessibility Committee
MARTA’s Accessibility Committee Member
The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) is seeking candidates to fill seven member positions on the MARTA Accessibility Committee (MAC). The MAC is an advisory committee made up of citizens and advocacy agencies representing seniors and various disabilities in
the MARTA service area. The committee meets to discuss and recommend solutions to transportation-related issues for both seniors and persons with disabilities. MARTA is seeking a new member who will be able to work closely with the Authority, Advocacy Groups, and the community to
ensure that seniors and individuals with disabilities, have a voice in the decision making process as it relates to public transportation. This is an unpaid, volunteer positions with terms ending on December 31, 2019.
Role of a MAC Member: MAC members must actively seek input from a broad range of riders on operational and budgetary issues that affect MARTA riders. Each member is expected to provide comprehensive advice recommendation and suggestions to MARTA on ways to resolve and address items brought forth for
the improvement of the MARTA system for all riders. Membership on an ADA-focused committee requires a high degree of diplomacy and knowledge of the ADA. We are currently seeking an individual representative of the following area of expertise:
- Seniors (Age 65 and Older)
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both written and public speaking
- Community-focused individual with advocacy experience
- Experienced team player who is a forward/out of the box thinker
- Keen interest and previous involvement in working with seniors and individuals with disabilities
- Networking and relationship-building
Deadline: Interested candidates must complete an application and submit 2 letters of recommendation to David Scarbor, Diversity Outreach Specialist, at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax 404-848-4302, or mail to 2424 Piedmont Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30324, by February 16, 2018 at 5:00
pm. Questions about the position should also be directed to Mr. Scarbor at 404-848-4058.
The MAC was established to assist MARTA by:
- Connecting MARTA and the diverse communities it serves to achieve a greater awareness of the transportation need of seniors and persons with disabilities.
- Developing and suggesting procedures to identify and correct potential accessibility deficiencies in facilities, programs, services and communications.
- Advising MARTA on issues surrounding individuals with disabilities and seniors and recommending appropriate steps.
- Providing recommendations to improve access to MARTA programs and services.
- Jorge Urrea – Committee Chairperson
- Dr. Brad Fain – Principal Research Scientist, Chief, Human Factors Program Office – GA Tech Research Institute
- Mark Gasaway – Representing the Hearing Impaired
- Monica L. Manns – Recruitment & Intake Unit Manager, All About Developmental Disabilities
- Jimmy Peterson – Executive Director, Georgia Center of the Deaf & Hard of Hearing, Inc.
- Ike Presley – Project Manager of Professional Development, American Foundation for the Blind
- Brent Reynolds – Representing the Blind
- Kakwete Sibetta – Associate State Director, Community Outreach, AARP
- Leonard Stinson – Representing Cognitive/Developmental Disabilities
- Gladys Taylor – Representing the Seniors
- Annette P. Walker – Director, Atlanta VA Medical Center
III. 2018 MAC Meeting Schedule
- January 9, 2018 – Closed Work Session
- March 13, 2018
- May 8, 2018
- July 10, 2018
- September 11, 2018
- November 13, 2018
Meetings will be held at the MARTA Headquarter Building at 2424 Piedmont Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30324 from 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM.