Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) is seeking candidates to fill two
member seat on the MARTA Accessibility Committee (MAC). The MAC is an advisory committee made up of
citizens and advocacy agencies representing seniors and various disabilities in
the MARTA service area. The committee
meets to discuss and recommend solutions to transportation-related issues for
both seniors and persons with disabilities. MARTA is seeking a variety of members who will
be able to work closely with the Authority, Advocacy Groups, and the community to
ensure that seniors and individuals with disabilities, have a voice in the decision
making process as it relates to public transportation. This is an unpaid, volunteer position with terms ending on December 31, 2019.
Role of a MAC Member: MAC members
must actively seek input from a broad range of riders on operational and
budgetary issues that affect MARTA riders.
Each member is expected to provide comprehensive advice recommendation
and suggestions to MARTA on ways to resolve and address items brought forth for
the improvement of the MARTA system for all riders. Membership on an ADA-focused committee
requires a high degree of diplomacy and knowledge of the ADA. We are currently seeking individuals
representative of the following area of expertise:
- Upper/Lower Extremity
- Personal Mobility Aid/Wheelchair User
organizational and communication skills, both written and public speaking
individual with advocacy experience
team player who is a forward/out of the box thinker
interest and previous involvement in working with seniors and individuals with
Deadline: Interested candidates
must complete an application and submit 2 letters of recommendation to Mr. David
Scarbor, Diversity Outreach Specialist, at email@example.com or by fax 404-848-4302, or mail to 2424
Piedmont Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30324, by
Friday, November 10, 2017 at 5:00 pm. Questions about the position should also be
directed to Mr. Scarbor at 404-848-4058.
The MAC was established to assist MARTA by:
- Connecting MARTA and the diverse communities it serves to achieve a greater awareness of the transportation need of seniors and persons with disabilities.
- Developing and suggesting procedures to identify and correct potential accessibility deficiencies in facilities, programs, services and communications.
- Advising MARTA on issues surrounding individuals with disabilities and seniors and recommending appropriate steps.
- Providing recommendations to improve access to MARTA programs and services.
- Jorge Urrea – Committee Chairperson
- Dr. Brad Fain – Principal Research Scientist, Chief, Human Factors Program Office – GA Tech Research Institute
- Mark Gasaway – Representing the Hearing Impaired
- Monica L. Manns – Recruitment & Intake Unit Manager, All About Developmental Disabilities
- Jimmy Peterson – Executive Director, Georgia Center of the Deaf & Hard of Hearing, Inc.
- Ike Presley – Project Manager of Professional Development, American Foundation for the Blind
- Brent Reynolds – Representing the Blind
- Kakwete Sibetta – Associate State Director, Community Outreach, AARP
- Leonard Stinson – Representing Cognitive/Developmental Disabilities
- Gladys Taylor – Representing the Seniors
- Annette P. Walker – Director, Atlanta VA Medical Center
III. 2017 MAC Meeting Schedule
All regularly scheduled MAC meetings will be held in the Travel Training Center Presentation Area, beginning at 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM at the following address:
MARTA Headquarters Building Atrium
2424 Piedmont Rd., NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
- January 10, 2017
- March 14, 2017
- May 9, 2017
- July 11, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- November 14, 2017